It seems easy enough, doesn’t it? You move your belongings from your home to a great storage facility in Cedar City. Like Cedar Storage, for instance! But here are a few uh-oh’s to be aware of as you move or prepare to move your stuff.
Storage Mistake #1: Using newspaper to wrap your belongings
You have the best of intentions to cushion your belongings, but the ink on newspaper can smudge and bleed all over your stuff. Cedar Storage does have cooler roofs thanks to protective shielding, but the units might still get a little toasty. Then you find yourself unpacking dirty items, perhaps some of them irreparably damaged or tarnished. It’s better to use bubble wrap or ink-free paper — even buying an inexpensive roll of butcher’s paper will save you from the ink smudges.
Storage Mistake #2: Storing food
Storing anything edible, even if just dry goods, can attract pests. Be realistic about what you’re putting in storage: will you really want that bag of rice after it sat there for six months or more? Probably not. Find someone else who will appreciate it, and save yourself from the potential invasion of bugs or, even worse, mice.
Storage Mistake #3: Not labeling your boxes
Navigating a self-storage unit filled with unlabeled boxes is like diving into a murky pool. You don’t know WHAT’S in there! Even if you intend to return and fully unpack your storage unit, you and your moving company will appreciate if you know where each box should go as you unpack. Or conversely, if you find you only need a few items removed from storage, it’s best to avoid rifling through every box to find what you need. Be sure to label each box clearly, and if you want to get really organized, keep a detailed inventory of each box elsewhere that corresponds with your more generalized labeling system. Another great way to track what is in your unit is to make a floor-plan of what boxes are in which corners and tape it to the wall inside where you can readily find it each time you enter.
Storage Mistake #4: Focusing only on the price
It can be tempting to go for the cheapest storage unit you can find, but is that really the best option for what you need? A more secure facility is also worth paying a little bit more for your own peace of mind. Remember, Cedar Storage offers a 3 step security system and we’ll match any price of competitors. Everyone makes mistakes. Just don’t make the mistake of choosing the wrong storage company!
We are fortunate to live in one of the best places on earth, in a great community that has some of the best people on earth. At Cedar Storage we frequently get the opportunity to give back to our wonderful community. One recent example of this is our sponsoring of the Sigma Nu Alumni Easter Egg Hunt. Now you may ask yourself, “What do storage units in Cedar City have to do with putting on an Easter Egg hunt?” When you hold an easter egg hunt with your family, in your back yard, all you require is a couple of grocery bags full of plastic eggs and candy. But when you are planning an easter egg hunt for well over 1000 local kids, and have over 25,000 eggs, 8 bicycles, and 200 prize baskets things get a little more exciting.
Cedar Storage is proud to have been able to sponsor this long standing Cedar City community tradition. And we hope that you were able to attend and enjoy this exciting and entertaining event.
We received a letter of gratitude from the organizers of the event and wanted to pass it along to our customers. We recognize that it is because of your continued patronage that we are able to sponsor worth while causes like this that bring additional vitality to Cedar City and the surrounding communities. So just remember that when you store your belongings in a Cedar Storage unit you are also helping to support your local community.
Please feel free to read the full text of the letter from the Sigma Nu Alumni Easter Egg Hunt Committee here.
Pack It Right Before You Store
Once you’ve made the decision to clear clutter and follow through on your organizational goals by using storage, pat yourself on the back. And once you’ve decided to use CEDAR Storage, well, we’d like to say, “Bravo!” But don’t just toss your beloved items in that unit. Here are some tips to make sure your possessions stay pristine when you store your stuff!
- Pack your belongings in boxes that are tough, water resistant, and are pretty much of uniform size. It sounds counter-intuitive, but stack heavier things at the bottom followed by lighter ones, and put fragile breakables near the top.
- If you are opting for a large unit then you can leave space between the furniture and boxes so that accessibility is maintained.
- To properly store your stuff use old sheets, towels and newspapers as cushions and fill all boxes to the brim. When boxes are half or three quarters full they will collapse when other boxes are placed on them, but nothing will break thanks to the cushioning.
- Treat all metal objects with rust protectors. Use boric powder or tobacco leaves to protect books from insect attack. Look up preservation of books and follow the instructions.
- Don’t stuff everything in there without some breathing room. Allow for air to circulate inside the locker. Lay down plastic sheeting on the floor of the unit and places the boxes on a wooden pallet this will keep boxes from suffering water related damage.
- Leave the doors of all appliances such as microwaves and fridges ajar to prevent fungal growth. And how about this: use the space in appliances to store small things. Smart!
- Refrain from storing any flammable materials in the unit. (Check with us at the front office if you have any questions.)
- Make a treasure map! Well, sort of. Maintain a diary and record which boxes are placed where and what each box contains. Stick labels on each box with a coding that matches your list. Never mark the contents on the label. And never say “priceless Babe Ruth baseball card,” on top of a box; that’s just asking for trouble.
- Time to lock it up! Be sure to choose a quality padlock that’s easy for you to operate and hard for others to open with a hair clip.
- Contact us at Cedar Storage and let us set you up with a storage solution that does more than give your belongings a safe place to live temporarily, it allows you make a fresh start!
Fall already? The summer flew by faster than a mountain biker! But part of the reason why it rocketed past for us was because we were pretty busy at Cedar Storage: we added a roof coating to all our units, making them way cooler than they already were (if that’s possible)!
This amazing coating reduced the inside temperature in the units which is another great step toward protecting your possessions with extra TLC.
In the summer, some units can get so hot, plastics will melt, including those handy totes. Candles turn to liquid, and I have even seen model cars start to deform. Nobody wants that for their collection! But this new coating makes units feel more like shade and less like an oven. It reduces the surface temperature of the roof, if it’s 80 degrees outside, the roof temperature drops from 135 to 70 degrees. A 90 degree day will drop the surface temperature from around 150 degrees to 80 degrees. That is a big deal for everything inside. And thus, it was a big deal for us and the highlight of our summer!
But we’re working on something big for the coming months. We’ve done for something for our customers, but now Cedar Storage wants to do something for our community. Listen for the details in our radio ads on how we’re making “Room In Our Heart” for someone very special this holiday season.
Until then, take care of yourselves. We’ll take care of your stuff!