Pack It Right Before You Store
Once you’ve made the decision to clear clutter and follow through on your organizational goals by using storage, pat yourself on the back. And once you’ve decided to use CEDAR Storage, well, we’d like to say, “Bravo!” But don’t just toss your beloved items in that unit. Here are some tips to make sure your possessions stay pristine when you store your stuff!
- Pack your belongings in boxes that are tough, water resistant, and are pretty much of uniform size. It sounds counter-intuitive, but stack heavier things at the bottom followed by lighter ones, and put fragile breakables near the top.
- If you are opting for a large unit then you can leave space between the furniture and boxes so that accessibility is maintained.
- To properly store your stuff use old sheets, towels and newspapers as cushions and fill all boxes to the brim. When boxes are half or three quarters full they will collapse when other boxes are placed on them, but nothing will break thanks to the cushioning.
- Treat all metal objects with rust protectors. Use boric powder or tobacco leaves to protect books from insect attack. Look up preservation of books and follow the instructions.
- Don’t stuff everything in there without some breathing room. Allow for air to circulate inside the locker. Lay down plastic sheeting on the floor of the unit and places the boxes on a wooden pallet this will keep boxes from suffering water related damage.
- Leave the doors of all appliances such as microwaves and fridges ajar to prevent fungal growth. And how about this: use the space in appliances to store small things. Smart!
- Refrain from storing any flammable materials in the unit. (Check with us at the front office if you have any questions.)
- Make a treasure map! Well, sort of. Maintain a diary and record which boxes are placed where and what each box contains. Stick labels on each box with a coding that matches your list. Never mark the contents on the label. And never say “priceless Babe Ruth baseball card,” on top of a box; that’s just asking for trouble.
- Time to lock it up! Be sure to choose a quality padlock that’s easy for you to operate and hard for others to open with a hair clip.
- Contact us at Cedar Storage and let us set you up with a storage solution that does more than give your belongings a safe place to live temporarily, it allows you make a fresh start!